Yerba Mate is a beverage like tea and coffee. It is pronounced as yer-bah mah-tay. It is made from leaves of holly tree which are found in abundance in South American rain forest. The leaves of holly tree are naturally caffeinated and are also nourishing. This beverage has been used for centuries by Guyaki tribe of South America. Yerba Mate has all the health benefits of traditional black and green tea. It also has strength of coffee and wellness feeling of chocolate. Like high quality tea and coffee, yerba mate is shade grown. Shade grown leaves have more chlorophyll, more flavour and higher nutritional and medicinal properties. Yerba Mate is a popular beverage in Brazil, Uruguay, Papaguay and Argentina.
Yerba Mate Nutrients
Yerba Mate is one of the most balanced beverages. It has rejuvenating effect and provides invigoration and nourishment. It is also called nutritious stimulant. Following are the nutrients in mate:
- Contains 24 vitamins and minerals. It contains Vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, B3, B5 and B Complex. Mate has minerals like Selenium, Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Zinc and Potassium.
- It is loaded with antioxidants and also contains 15 amino acids.
- Yerba Mate also has Carotene, Chlorophyll, Flavonols, Polyphenols and Antioxidants.
- Yerba Mate contains caffeine, theophylline and theobromine. These are stimulants which are found in tea, coffee and chocolate.
- Caffeine in mate is higher than green tea but lower than coffee.
- Yerba Mate has lower tannin content than tea. So its taste is not as bitter as tea.
- It is not acid forming like coffee.
- Avoid drinking smoked mate tea. Smoked food may contain carcinogenic substance which may cause cancer in long run.
- Yerba Mate has less fluoride than green tea.
Nutrition Content in Yerba Mate
If you make mate tea with 8 oz of water and 6 gram of powder you will get following nutrients
- Potassium – 60 mg
- Magnesium – 32 mg
- Zinc – 0.3 mg
- Theobromine – 6.6 mg
- Caffeine – 60 mg
- Calories – 10
Yerba Mate Health Benefits
Some of the most popular stimulants are tea, coffee, chocolate, cocoa, yerba mate and nut. Out of all these yerba mate is the most balanced. It also has medicinal properties. Following are the health benefits of yerba mate tea: –
- It is packed with antioxidants and polyphenols. It has 100 times higher amount of antioxidants than non tea based energy drinks. It provides an ORAC value of 10000 per 240 ml. This is five times more than green tea. So it is extremely beneficial for your skin health. It keeps the heart healthy and prevents hardening of arteries.
- The antioxidants boost the immune properties of your body and hence protect from a variety of deceases. The antioxidants slow down sign of aging and detoxify the blood.
- Yerba Mate increases mental energy and makes you more focussed.
- The chemicals in mate improve the metabolism in such a way that your body uses carbohydrates more efficiently. So you get more energy from what you eat and your body also burns more energy. It also enhances physical endurance.
- Drinking of Mate tea raises the metabolic rate of your body. So body fat is burnt more efficiently. This helps in weight control and weight loss.
- It regulates the appetite and encourages a healthy diet. Mate also improves digestion and absorption of nutrients by the body. It stimulates production of bile and other gastric juices which results in better digestion.
- It also keeps the colon clean and makes your stomach free of bad bacteria. So it is good remedy for bad breath.
- Mate has thermogenic properties. So it induces the body to burn more calories, hence keeping weight in control.
Gourd Recipe Using Yerba Mate
Following is the method of making mate tea in a gourd
Hot Water – One Litre
Mate – Enough to fill 2/3 of the gourd.
Gourd or Bombilla – One
How to Make Gourd Yerba Mate
- Put the yerba mate in the gourd
- Shake the gourd such that yerba mate gets to one side of the gourd.
- Pour some cold water in the open space inside the gourd so that yerba mate is wet.
- Now pour hot water so that it comes just below the top of yerba mate.
- Sip till you drink all the liquid.
- Now pass it on to next person who pours more hot water and makes his own beverage to drink.
- So many people can drink from the same batch of yerba mate.
Guyaki Yerba Mate – 8 Oz
Hot Milk – 4 Oz
Honey or Sugar – As per taste
How to Make Mate Latte
- Brew 8 oz of yerba mate in water.
- Add sugar or honey.
- Add 4 oz of hot milk.
- Top up with milk foam
- The latte is ready.
Mate Bag Recipes
Any of the following can be brewed to make hot or iced mate beverage. These are available as tea bags.
- Chai Orange Mate
- Orange Mint Mate
- Chocolate Mint Mate
- Orange Creme Mate
- Green Mint Mate
- Red Orange Mate
- Chocolate Chai Mate