Pain Relief for Root Canal Toothache
Have you got tremendous pain in your root canal? If the answer to this question is ‘yes’, this article brings the collection of some easy-to-use and effective home remedies for recovering from root canal pain. But let’s first peek into the basics of root canal for the readers who are new to root canal.
What is Root Canal Pain?
Toothache, mild or severe, is always unbearable. The root canal is a severe toothache that may occur due to various reasons. Root canal is actually a living canal found in the center of the tooth and it keeps the tooth alive. A pulp of tissue is found in the root canal that contains blood vessels and connecting tissues. It helps root of the tooth to grow and thus provides support to the tooth. When the tissue gets infected because of tooth decay, cavities, gum disease, cracked tooth, etc, this result in inflammation of the pulp, thus inflammation in the nerve and connecting tissues. This further leads to swelling and put pressure inside the tooth, further causing toothache or root canal pain.
Causes of Root Canal Pain
Here are the major causes of root canal pain listed below:
- Any type of irritation or inflammation in the mouth
- Hyper Occlusion that happens due to the oral cavity
- Teeth grinding habits
- Infection in gums and jaws
- Botched or partially filled or sealed root canal
- Eating and chewing hardened food
- Shrinking of old metal filling
- Trauma in childhood can also be the reason of root canal pain
Symptoms of Root Canal Pain
Diagnose of root canal pain is very easy. Here are the alarming signs and symptoms of root canal pain listed below:
- Sensitivity to cold and hot foods
- Feeling a sharp pain while biting down the food on the teeth
- Swelling in the gums
- Completely sensitivity to touch
- Redness in jaws and gums
- Feeling pressure on the upper teeth and jaw
Home Remedies for the Treatment of Root Canal Pain
When you feel root canal pain and visit your doctor, they will always ask you to go through the root canal treatment. But you don’t always need to go for the painful and expensive root canal treatment in case of minor problem. You can try some easy-to-make home remedies for curing root canal pain. But remember, you must be sure that the problem is not major and you can treat it easily at home. If you feel that the problem is major, like bleeding gums and swelling, then you should definitely see a dentist. Here are some of the best home remedies given below:
Gargle with Salt Water for the Treatment of Root Canal Pain
Salt water may be a simple but is a very helpful remedy for quite a number of conditions and that including relieving root canal pain. Salt is an anti-septic and anti-bacterial in it. So it can fight with so many bacteria which occur in our root canal causing tremendous pain. So when we use the therapy of salt water, it definitely relieves us from the pain in our root canal.
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- A glass of clean and fresh warm water
How to make and use Gargle with Salt Water for Root Canal Pain Treatment
- Take a bowl and add a tablespoon of salt in it.
- Now add a glass of clean and fresh warm water into the bowl containing salt.
- Now stir the solution and then use it to rinse your mouth.
- Hold the water in your mouth for a few minutes occasionally, gargling it. Do not swallow water in your stomach.
- Do this therapy two times in a day in the morning and at night. It will really help you in case of root canal pain.
Onion and Garlic Juice for Root Canal Pain Treatment
Like for many other diseases in our body, garlic is also very helpful in case of root canal pain. Actually, garlic is an anti-oxidant and anti-fungal substance. So it prevents us from root canal pain. On the other hand, like garlic, the imagination of the smell associated with onion in the mouth may not be very welcoming, but when you remember just how much pain are you feeling, then you will definitely consider it as an option. Like garlic, onion is also an anti-fungal substance. So when we mix garlic and onion both, their mixture becomes one of the best home remedy for root canal pain.
- 1 fresh onion
- 1 fresh garlic
How to make and use Onion and Garlic Juice for Root Canal Pain Treatment
- Take a bowl and cut an onion into small pieces.
- Now, take garlic and cut its slices into the bowl containing onion pieces.
- Now crush both the ingredients properly to extract the juice from them using a food processor.
- Put a drop of that juice on the affected area or you can just drink it or gargle with it.
- Do this process two times in a day for three days and it will make you free from root canal pain
- If you are strong enough, you can also chew the onion and garlic directly for relieving from the root canal pain.
Tobacco and Saliva Therapy for Root Canal Pain Treatment
It will be very surprising for some people, but yes, the use of tobacco is one of the best home remedy to be used in case of root canal pain. Tobacco kills some bacteria which are the reason behind root canal pain. And when tobacco meets with our saliva, its power of killing dangerous bacteria becomes double. So when tobacco meets with our saliva, it becomes a good home remedy for root canal pain.
- A pinch of tobacco
- Some warm water
- Some clean and fresh water
How to make and use Tobacco and Saliva Therapy for Root Canal Pain Treatment
- Take a pinch of tobacco and put it in your mouth.
- Now wet it with a bit of saliva until you taste the menthol contained in tobacco.
- Now add a very little warm water and swish it around your mouth for a minute.
- Now spit it out and after five minutes you will feel relax from pain and then rinse your mouth with clean fresh water. Remember; do not swallow the tobacco in your stomach as tobacco is injurious to health.
- Repeat this process two times in a day until you get rid of the painful root canal.
Mixture of Black Pepper and Vinegar for Root Canal Pain Treatment
In ancient times, people used black pepper as an efficient reliever from toothache including, root canal pain. In fact, black pepper contains allicine which is a very powerful natural antibiotic, and it starts fight immediately with the cause of an infected tooth. So it is also a good home remedy for root canal pain. On the other hand, vinegar contains the properties like anti-fungal, which also fights against the root canal pain. So the mixture of black pepper and vinegar can give us immediately relieve from the root canal pain.
- A pinch of black pepper
- 2 to 3 drops of vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
How to make and use Mixture of Black Pepper and Vinegar for Root Canal Pain Treatment
- Take a small bowl and add a pinch of black pepper in it.
- Now add 2 to 3 drops of vinegar in it and you can also add ¼ teaspoon of salt in it.
- Mix the all ingredients properly using a small spoon.
- Now put the mixture straight on your affected area in your mouth.
- You will feel some burn in the area, but place the mixture on the affected area at least for five minutes and it will make you feel relaxed from the root canal pain.
Tea Tree Oil for Root Canal Pain Relief
Even history has shown that tea tree oil is extensively used for treating infection, including the infection that causes root canal pain. Thanks to the antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties of tea tree oil. Moreover, tea tree oil is safe to use for treating root canal pain. Here is the method described for using tea tree oil for reliving root canal pain.
- 1 tablespoon of tea tree oil
- A few drops of warm water
How to use Tea Tree Oil for Root Canal Pain Relief
- Take a small mixing bowl and add one tablespoon tea tree oil in the bowl.
- Now add a few drops of warm water into the oil and blend both ingredients well with each other.
- Now fill your mouth with the prepared solution of tea tree oil and warm water and swish it in your mouth for 2-3 minutes.
- Then spit it out in the sink and rinse your mouth with normal water.
- Repeat it three times a day until you get rid of the painful root canal.
Cucumber for the Treatment of Root Canal Pain
One of the handy substances at your home – cucumber works instantly to relieve the root canal pain. Cucumber has natural soothing and cooling properties that soothe the inflammation and swelling caused by the problematic root canal.
- 1 slice of fresh cucumber
- A pinch of table salt
How to make and use Cucumber for the Treatment of Root Canal Pain
- Take a cucumber and cut its slices in a bowl.
- Now apply some salt onto one slice and place the freshly cut slice on the place of pain.
- If the cucumber is refrigerated, first bring it to the room temperature before cutting and application. Otherwise, it may cause cold sensitivity.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and then throw the slice in the dustbin.
- You can also mash the cucumber with salt and apply it on the affected tooth in the form of paste.
- Repeat it three times a day to treat painful root canal.