Melasma Cure Home Remedies
In today’s beauty conscious world, we can’t bear even a single spot on our skin, especially on our face. We cannot let these dark spots and blemishes steal our beauty and we are ready to do anything to overcome those. However, it’s true that due to extremely hectic lifestyle, spots on the face have become a part of our lives and eventually, we start neglecting those. But some conditions can’t and shouldn’t be ignored; Melasma is one of those non-negligible skin conditions. Read on to learn more about melasma and home remedies for melasma treatment.
What is Melasma?
Melasma is a type of skin condition that is also known as skin hyperpigmentation. It is a temporary discoloration of the skin on the face. It causes brown or gray-brown patches on the skin. Major regions that get affected by Melasma are the cheeks, bridge of nose, chin, upper lip area and forehead. Apart from these, it may also appear on the areas that have over exposure to the sun and these areas include: arms, hands and back of the neck. Although Melasma can happen to both men and women, but it is very common among the women with 20-50 years of age.
Causes of Melasma
There is no clear explanation behind the cause of the Melasma skin condition. It is more common among the people with dark skin as compared to the people with lighter skin. Here are the common and recognized causes of Melasma listed below:
- Sun rays are considered as the major culprit of Melasma. Therefore, it is advised to use sunscreen whenever you have to go out in the sun and apply the sunscreen after every two hours. Also use wide-brimmed hats because the prevention is better than cure.
- Use of birth control pills
- Taking hormone replacement therapies
- Stress and depression
- Thyroid diseases
- Family history of melasma
- Anti-seizure medications
- Use of products and treatments that irritate the skin
- It is common during pregnancy due to the hormonal changes
Types of Melasma
Melasma has been categorized into four on the basis of pigmentation pattern: epidermal, dermal, and mixed and an unnamed pattern found in dark-skinned people. In the epidermal type, excess melanin is found in the superficial layer of the skin. Dermal melasma occurs due to the presence of melanophages throughout the dermis. Mix of epidermal and dermal causes mixed melasma. In the last, fourth type of melasma, excess melanocytes is found in the skin of dark-skinned people.
How is Melasma Diagnosed?
Melasma is commonly diagnosed by spotting the brown or gay-brown patches on the face that nearly appear on the cheeks, forehead, chin and other exposed skin areas.
Best Home Remedies for Melasma Treatment
Before you spend your money on inexpensive cosmetic or medical treatment for Melasma, you should definitely giver a try to natural home remedies. These remedies will cost you nothing or very minimal. Natural cures are always recommended over chemical treatments due to their benefits and zero side-effect properties. The best thing is that, these herbal remedies come with additional benefits too. Let’s have a look at the ingredients and recipes for making and using them for the treatment of melasma.
Paste of Lemon Juice and Honey for Melasma Treatment
Due to the acidic nature, lemon peels off the outer skin layer and helps in getting rid of pigmentation. Regular use of lemon juice on the skin allows its vitamin C ingredient to work on every type of skin pigmentations to reduce them. Also, the honey works wonder for the skin. Raw honey contains many natural healing agents that replace the dead skin cells with new skin cells and helps with melasma. Here’s the recipe for making and using paste of honey and lemon juice for treating melasma.
- 2-3 lemon
- 1-2 tablespoon raw honey
- Warm water
How to make and use Paste of Lemon Juice and Honey for Melasma Treatment
- Take a small mixing bowl and add two tablespoons of raw honey into it.
- Now, take fresh, clean lemon and cut them into half.
- Squeeze out the lemon juice into the bowl containing the raw honey and mix both ingredients really well. You can also add a few drops of warm water to make the paste little thin.
- After five minutes, apply the paste onto the pigmented skin areas using your fingertips.
- Let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then wash off with tepid water.
- Use it thrice a week to treat melasma and continue using it until you completely get rid of irritating dark patches.
Turmeric and Milk Paste for Melasma Treatment
Turmeric contains antioxidants, antibacterial properties and skin whitening as well as lightening properties that make it workable for pigmentation or melasma treatment without causing inflammation or aftermath of melasma. On the other hand, milk is enriched with Lactic acid. This acid helps to reduce skin pigmentation and also the signs of aging. Thus, when we use turmeric and milk in combination, it perfectly treats melasma and leaves behind a radiant skin.
- 4-5 tablespoon turmeric powder
- ½ cup raw milk
How to make and use Turmeric and Milk Paste for Melasma Treatment
- Take a cup and pour cold, raw milk into the cup.
- Now add turmeric powder into the cup containing raw milk.
- Using a spoon, blend both ingredients really well with each other.
- Then take a cotton ball, dig it into the prepared mix and dab it onto the affected skin areas.
- Allow it to sit for 30 minutes and let it dry out.
- Once the pack gets dry, loose it using water and massage it onto the skin gently with light hands.
- Rinse it off completely and apply a thin coat of moisturizer.
- Use it three to four times a week for treating melasma and its effects until you get rid of melasma.
Pack of Potato Juice and Orange Peel Powder for Melasma treatment
Potatoes are abundant with nutrients, vitamins, minerals like potassium, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and zinc; essential fatty acids, phytochemicals and more. The natural skin lightening properties, enzymes, sugars and starch found in potato exfoliate the skin and helps in cell renewal in a natural way. Due to these properties, potato works as the best natural skin-lightening agent. When it comes to the orange peel powder, it is loaded with citric acid and is very rich in bleaching properties. That’s why it helps to get rid of dark skin patches caused by melasma.
- 3-4 tablespoon orange peel powder
- 5-6 tablespoon fresh juice of potatoes
- 1-2 tablespoon rose water
How to make and use Pack of Potato Juice and Orange Peel Powder for Melasma treatment
- Orange peel powder is very easy to make at home. Collect orange peel and allow them to dry in direct sunlight. It will take 4-5 days in sunny days. Once the peel gets completely dry and crunchy, grind them in a food processor in pure powder form.
- To make the potato juice, grind clean and fresh potatoes in a food processor and draw out their juice into a bowl. Throw the leftover in the dustbin.
- Now in a mixing bowl, add potato juice, orange peel powder and rose water.
- Mix all three ingredients really well using a spoon and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Then apply the pack on your face and other affected areas of your skin.
- Allow it to dry for 30 minutes and then wash off with normal water.
- Use it twice a week for 2-3 months continuously and you will get the visible results.
Almonds, Avocado and Honey Mask for Melasma Treatment
Almonds are loaded with vitamin E that is a very good antioxidant for the skin. Vitamin E reverses the harmful effects of UV rays on the skin and helps in repairing the skin naturally. It also contains bleaching properties and acts as a scrubbing agent too. Due to these properties, it acts as a great natural agent for treating melasma. When it comes to avocado, it is packed with fatty acids, vitamin C, vitamin E and oleic acid that help to fade away the appearance of hyperpigmentation. And we all are well-aware of the antioxidant and anti-bacterial properties of honey that make it a wonderful product for all types of skin care programs. Here’s the recipe:
- A handful of good quality almonds
- 1 fully ripped avocado
- 1-2 tablespoon of raw honey
- Water to soak the almonds
How to make and use Almonds, Avocado and Honey Mask for Melasma Treatment
- Take a large bowl full of water and soak the almonds in the water for overnight.
- Following day, in the morning, separate almonds from the water and grind them in a food processor to make a puree of it.
- Now collect the puree into a large bowl and add honey, into the same bowl.
- Now cut the avocado into small slices and grind it using a food processor.
- Mix the crushed avocado with other ingredients and blend it well.
- Apply the mask on the affected skin areas and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
- Then wash it off with normal water. Repeat it every day until you completely treat melasma and its symptoms. You will definitely get the visible results.
Tomato Juice, Oatmeal and Yogurt for Melasma Treatment
The tomato has been an important ingredient for all types of skin care treatments from traditional Indian time. Thanks to its uncountable benefits for skin, including melasma treatment. Tomato works great due to the presence of natural bleaching properties that make it act as a perfect and natural skin-lightening agent. Also the oatmeal is a wonder substance for all types of skin problems including melasma. It has anti-inflammatory properties and enzymes that make it the best suited for melasma or hyperpigmentation treatment. Lastly, yogurt benefits with melasma due to its soothing properties.
- 1-2 fresh tomatoes
- 2-3 tablespoon oatmeal
- ½ tablespoon yogurt
How to make and use Tomato Juice, Oatmeal and Yogurt for Melasma Treatment
- Grate tomatoes and draw out their juice into a bowl.
- Now add oatmeal and yogurt into the bowl containing tomato juice.
- Mix all these ingredients well and let it sit undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Now apply the prepared mixture onto the affected skin areas and leave it for 20-30 minutes.
- Then wash off your face with warm water and pat it dry with a clean towel.
- Repeat the process 3-4 times a week to cure melasma.