Flax Seeds are also called Linseed, Tisi or Alsi. They are tiny brown seeds which come from a fibre crop named Flax. In ancient times it was originally cultivated in China and Egypt and was known as a wonder food. Presently Flax Seeds are not very popular food item. But the world is waking up to this extremely beneficial food. Flax seeds should be eaten only after grinding and making powder of the seeds. If flax seeds are eaten whole, it cannot be digested. Flax seed is the number one food source of Lignans which are very effective in fighting cancer. Flax seeds also lower the risk of diabetes and heart problems. Health Benefits of Flax Seeds are many. However pregnant women and breast feeding mothers should not consume flax seeds. You should take one tablespoon of ground flax seeds daily and not more than this.
Nutrional Value of Flax Seeds (Two Teaspoons)
|Energy – 54.7 kcal (DV = 3%)||Carbohydrates – 3.0 g (DV = 1%)|
|Sugars – 0.2 g||Dietary fiber – 2.8 g (DV = 11%)|
|Fat – 4.3 g (DV = 7%)||Saturated fat – 0.4 g (DV = 2%)|
|Monounsaturated fat – 0.8 g||Polyunsaturated fat – 2.9 g|
|Protein – 1.9 g (DV = 4%)||Thiamine (vit B1) – 0.2mg (DV = 11%)|
|Riboflavin 0.0mg||Niacin (vit. B3) – 0.3mg (DV = 2%)|
|Pantothenic acid (B5) – 0.1mg (DV = 1%)||Vitamin B6 – 0.0 mg|
|Folate – 8.9 mcg (DV = 2%)||Vitamin C – 0.1 mg (DV = 0%)|
|Calcium – 26.1mg (DV = 3%)||Iron – 0.6mg (DV = 3%)|
|Magnesium – 40.2 mg (DV = 10%)||Phosphorus – 65.8mg (DV = 7%)|
|Potassium – 83.3 mg (DV = 2%)||Zinc – 0.4mg (DV = 3%)|
Benefits of Flax Seed
- It is a rich source of dietary fibre, Manganese, Vitamin B1, essential fatty acids and micronutrients.
- Flax seeds have Omega 3 Fatty acids which disrupt malignant cells. Consuming flax seeds may protect against breast cancer, colon and prostate cancer. Another rich source of Omega 3 Fatty acid is fish.
- Flax seeds are helpful in lowering cholesterol.
- Consuming flax seeds everyday improves blood sugar.
- Flax seeds contain lineoic acid which are extremely beneficial in heart related health problem, arthritis, asthma and diabetes.
Flax Seeds Fights Breast Cancer
It contains Lignans which provide some protection against cancer. It helps to reduce breast cancer
Flax Seeds in Cardiovascular and Heart Deceases
The Omega 3 present in flax seeds has anti inflammatory properties, maintains heart’s natural rythm and normalizes heart beats. Flax seeds also have blood pressure lowering effect due to Amino Acids and Omega 3 present in it. It prevents hardening of arteries and also prevents plaque from being deposited in the arteries.
Flax Seeds Maintain Cholesterol Level
Eating flax seeds regularly helps in decreasing LDL (bad cholesterol) level in the blood. Hence it reduces risk of heart problem and metabolic syndrome.
Benefits in Menopausal for Women
Flax seed is helpful in many symptoms related to menopausal like hot flashes, mood disturbances and vaginal dryness. Take two tablespoon of ground flax seeds with juice or yogurt, twice a day. It will positively reduce hot flashes.
Flax Seed in Diabetes
Flax seeds contain lingnans which is helpful in Type 2 Diabetes. Regular consumption of flax seeds improves blood sugar of people suffering from diabetes.
Flax seeds are Useful in Constipation
Flax seeds contain fibre and flax oil. So it acts as laxative and provides relief from constipation. It does not have any side effect on health.
Tips for Consuming Flax Seeds
- Flax seed is more beneficial when eaten in ground form and not as oil. It is best to grind it without roasting. If you eat whole flax seed it will not be digested and will pass out through intestinal tract, undigested. You can grind it using a coffee grinder.
- You can buy brown and golden flax seed powder in the market. Both are same in nutritional value. They are also called Flax Meal.
- Flax seed powder can be mixed with other food like soup, cereals, yogurt, rice etc. So make it a habit of mixing flax seed powder to your regular meal item.
- Flax seed powder can be used in baked flour products like cookies, muffins etc.
- Put the ground flax seed in a glass jar and store it in your refrigerator.