After reading this article your impression about banana will undergo a sea change. Bananas are not only for monkeys!! Banana is packed with nutrients and hence it is very beneficial for you also. It helps you in preventing anaemia, morning sickness, diabetes, osteoporosis and blindness. Even banana peel is equally beneficial. There are lots of health benefits of banana and banana peel. In fact banana should be part of your daily meals. In case of banana, what is good for monkey is good for us also!!
Health Benefits of Eating Banana
- It acts as energy punch and sustains blood sugar during strenuous exercise. You would have seen Olympic tennis players eating banana during short breaks. Eat a banana before starting your daily exercise regimen. You will not feel tired. Banana also protects against muscle cramps during your daily workout.
- Banana contains high level of Tryptophan. When you eat banana this tryptophan is converted into serotonin which acts as happy mood neurotransmitter. So if you are feeling depressed, eating one or two bananas will certainly help lift your mood. It regulates blood sugar which further results in reduced stress. So eating banana acts as mood enhancer.
- It is medically proven that banana can lower blood pressure and therefore protect against heart attack. Banana has this medical property because it is low on salt and high on potassium.
- Banana contains iron which strengthens your blood haemoglobin and is helpful in reducing anaemia. Therefore eating banana is especially beneficial for women.
- Banana has high level of vitamin B-6. So banana aids in weight loss, is beneficial in diabetes, helps in production of white blood cell. Banana also strengthens your nervous system.
Banana is good for Digestion
- Banana has properties of a natural antacid. So eating banana helps in reducing acid reflux. This is the feeling when you feel part of eaten food coming to your throat, due to acidity. So instead of taking medicine, eat a banana.
- Like yogurt, banana also acts as a prebiotic and stimulates growth of friendly bacteria in your stomach. A higher number of friendly bacteria improve production of digestive enzymes. These digestive enzymes help in better absorption of nutrients in your body.
- Banana has high fibre content. So eating banana improves bowel movement and helps in reducing constipation.
- Banana has a soothing effect on your digestive tract and restores electrolyte level after a bout of loose motions or diarrhoea.
- Regular consumption of banana detoxifies the body. Banana is rich in Pectin which removes toxins and heavy metals from the body.
Banana as Natural Cure
- Eating banana controls blood sugar and you don’t get the urge of eating between meals.
- Banana contains Vitamin B, Potassium and Magnesium. These three are good for those who are attempting to quit smoking. So eating banana helps a person who wants to recover from symptoms which occur due when you quit smoking.
- High level of Potassium in banana also enhances brain power and makes a person more alert.
- Banana contains Trytophan which has mood enhancer properties. So eating banana helps you to overcome side effects of Seasonal Affective Disorder.
- Banana is a rich source of antioxidants. Hence eating banana gives a person protection form chronic diseases.
Health Benefits of Banana Peel
Banana peels are not something which should be thrown away as waste. They also carry lots of nutritional value. Yellow banana peels can be consumed for its nutritional value. Following are health benefits of banana peels.
- Yellow Banana Peels contain vitamin A which is beneficial in building up your immunity to fight against deceases and infections of various types.
- Yellow Banana peels, like banana pulp, contain antioxidants and Vitamin B.
- A substance named Lutein is abundant in banana peels. Lutien keeps your eyes healthy and also prevents cataract.
- Banana peels have both soluble and insoluble fibers, more than the banana pulp. These fibres help in lowering down cholesterol in the body.
- Yellow banana peels should not be consumed unless it is first boiled in water for 10 minutes to make it soft and edibile.
How to Make Banana Mango Smoothie
Ingredients for Two Persons
2 Fresh Peeled bananas (Without Banana Peel)
1 Ripe Mango
2 Cups of Milk
Half Tea Spoon of Powdered Cinnamon
One Table Spoon Honey
It is very simple to make. Put all above mentioned ingredients in a blender. Run the blender for half a minute or till the mixture has smooth consistency. Add few cubes of ice and enjoy your banana mango smoothie. Ice can be added at the time of blending also. You can also add chocolate and peanut butter at the time of blending.