Body Odor Treatment
It is good to sweat; in fact, sweat symbolizes our health status. Sweating is a natural process. But sweat also causes body odor that becomes the biggest social problem of people’s life many times. It is a sensitive topic that you cannot even difficult with anybody. Occasion and mild body odor are normal, but when your body smells excessively and unpleasantly, it really needs attention.
Using deodorant only shield body odor for a short duration. You cannot rely upon these temporary solutions for excessive and permanent body odor. These short-term body odor treatments don’t address the underlying cause of nose-pinching smell coming from your body. Luckily, there are many natural, clean and affordable ways to tackle undesirable body odor problem. But let’s first check out the underlying causes of bad body odor.
What Causes Body Odor?
Before you start with the home remedies for body odor, it is important to know how body odor occurs. Some common causes of body odor are here:
- The most common cause of body odor is lack of hygiene and inadequate bathing. Our body keeps on working constantly and sweats at the same time. When this sweat becomes dry on the skin, then it starts producing body odor in lack of hygiene.
- When it comes to armpit smell, the real culprit is sweat produced by Apocrine glands. These glands are found in the underarms and genitals that secrete a substance that allows bacteria to feast upon and cause unpleasant body odor.
- A type of simple gland, called Eccrine gland is found in almost all areas on the skin. These glands produce sweat that reaches the skin’s surface via tubes. When sweat evaporates from the skin of the body, our body becomes cool and a smell is left behind.
- Food that is rich in amino acid carnitine leaves residue on the intestines to be worked upon by our digestive system. Specific enzymes called flavin monooxygenases break these residues to an odorless state ready for excretion. But when these enzymes are in poor supply, the missing or digestive system is disturbed; a bad body odor can result from it.
- Antipsychotic and antidepressant medication, overuse of aspirin and acetaminophen can lead to increase sweat production.
- Hormonal changes during menopause are one of the most common causes of body odor caused by hormonal changes in our body.
- In most cases, stress or anxiety also causes body odor. It is the second effect of stress. The way you experience anxiety, changes the way your body handles stress and sweat produced during stress. It further affects the way your body smells.
Body Odor Treatment
Body odor can be treated by using over-the-counter solutions. You can also follow a good hygiene to tackle irritating and unpleasant body odor. But sometimes, these over-the-counter solutions can be harmful to your skin. Alternatively, you can also follow some easy-to-make and easy-to-use home remedies to control the growth of bacteria, reduce excessive and get rid of body odor. These are completely natural, simple and effective solutions that cost nothing and have no side effect.
Body Odor Home Remedies
Body Odor Treatment with Baking Soda and Cornstarch Mixture
Baking soda or also called bicarbonate soda is a crystalline compound in white color. It has many health benefits and treating body odor is one of those benefits. Baking soda absorbs moisture from the skin and keeps it dry. It also acts as a natural deodorant for the body. It helps kill bacteria and alkalizes the body and helps prevent excessive sweating and odor. It lowers the pH level of those body parts that are responsible for sweating. When it is mixed with cornstarch, an excellent absorbent agent, it makes a combination that works well against body odor. Here is the recipe for using baking soda for body odor treatment.
- ½ cup baking soda
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of tea tree oil
- Plastic Container
- Power Shake container
How to make and use Baking Soda and Cornstarch Mixture for Body Odor Treatment
- In a bowl, add cornstarch powder and baking soda.
- Now add a few drops of tea tree oil to this mixture and now pour the well mixed contents in a power shake container.
- Shake it well and store it in another plastic container for everyday use.
- Apply this mixture every day after taking shower.
- Allow it to sit for 4-5 minutes and then remove it off using plain water.
- Regular following this remedy will definitely help you control sweating and body odor. If required, you can replace tee tree oil with coconut oil and olive oil.
Underarm Odor Treatment with Lemon Juice
Lemon Juice is one of the best natural ingredients for treating body odor, especially for underarm odor. Lemon helps reduces sweating, prevent body odor and bleach your under arms. Due to its benefits for combating the body odor problem, it has been in use as a natural deodorant since ages. Lemon has ability to combat underarm sweat due to its acidic nature. The acid content found in lemon juice helps reduce sweat production and can act as a natural deodorant. It also has antibacterial properties that kill the bacteria causing excessive sweat. Here is the way to use lemon juice for treating underarm odor using lemon juice effectively.
- 1 fresh lemon
- Cotton ball
How to use Lemon Juice for Underarm Odor Treatment
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze out its fresh juice into a small bowl.
- Now, take a cotton ball and dip it into the lemon juice.
- Apply this juice on your underarms and rub it gently.
- Let it dry on its own and once it gets dry, take a shower. Follow this remedy until you completely get rid of underarm odor.
- If you have sensitive skin, you can dilute lemon juice with small amount of cool water.
- Apply the diluted lemon juice on your armpit, leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse off using plain water.
- Use this remedy every day before taking shower to deal with stubborn underarm odor on a regular basis.
Sage Herb for Body Odor Treatment
Sage is another natural and popular home based treatment for body odor. It has two main properties that make it this famous for combating body odor and its characterized problems. The first property is that, it controls the activity of sweat gland and helps lessen the production of sweating by these glands. Secondly, it is an antibacterial herb that prevents the growth of bacteria on our skin, especially the sweating parts of our body. Apart from that, it has a natural scent that makes it work as a natural deodorant too. Sage herb belongs to the family of rosemary. It has aromatic compound like camphor and volatile oils like luteolin, diosmetin, rosmarinic acid, etc. These compounds keep our skin smell pleasant all the day. There are different ways of using sage for controlling body odor.
- Sage essential oil (for direct application)
- A few drops of olive oil
- Dry sage leaves (for making sage tea)
- ½ tablespoon of cinnamon powder
How to use Sage Herb for Body Odor Treatment
- If you want to have a shortcut, simply buy sage essential oil and mix it with a few drops of essential oil like olive oil.
- Now apply and massage this mixture gently on your body parts that sweat frequently.
- Alternatively, to make sage tea: add 1 cup of clean water in a saucepan with one tablespoon of dried sage herb. Boil it for 5-10 minutes until the color of water changes. You can also add cinnamon powder to add flavor to the tea.
- Now strain the tea in a ceramic cup and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Drink this tea 1-2 times a week to reduce perspiration and body odor. This is not recommended for pregnant women and a nursing mother.
- Third way to sue sage herb for body odor is to make sage body wash. Add two tablespoons of dry sage herb in four cups of hot water. Let it steep for 10 minutes and rinse your armpits with this water. Remember, do not wash any other part of your body with sage body wash and always wash your hands after using this herb.
Tomato Juice and Lavender Oil Bath for Body Odor Treatment
Due to the antiseptic properties of tomato, it has long used for treating body odor form the time of ancient Indian medicine. Lavender oil is known to have various properties that fight the causes of body odor. It leaves behind a pleasant fragrance on the skin that lasts till the next bath.
- 8-10 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lavender oil
How to make and use Tomato Juice and Lavender Oil Bath for Body Odor Treatment
- Crush tomatoes in a food processor to get the pulp material of tomatoes.
- Now using a sieve, extract the lemon juice out of the tomato pulp.
- Add this juice in the bucket filled with clean water.
- Also add 1-2 tablespoon of lavender oil into the bucket and mix it with your hand.
- Now, take bath with this water every day to get rid of body odor.
Body Odor Removal Wheat Grass Juice
Wheat grass us an amazing natural product that is popular for treating many minor as well as major health issues. When it comes to body odor removal, it works very well. Wheat grass contains a compound called chlorophyll that effectively kills body odor. Remember, you have to take this juice on an empty stomach and in small quantity to avoid any reaction.
- 2 tablespoon wheat grass juice
- 1 cup water
How to make and use Wheat Grass Juice for Body Odor Removal
- Take a glass and pour wheatgrass juice into this glass.
- Now add ½ cup of clean water into the same glass containing wheat grass juice.
- Mix it well and have it on an empty stomach in the morning. It may taste unpleasant, but it has amazing benefits associated with body odor and also with your overall health.