How to Lose Weight
Do you feel your weight is more than what it should be? First of all Find out Your Ideal Weight and Body Mass Index. This will tell you how much overweight you are!! Weight varies for men and women. It also varies as per your height and age. Weight loss can’t be painless. You have to make efforts for it. You may have to squeeze in time for exercise. A weight loss regime may also include healthy eating and changes in lifestyle. But don’t be discouraged. With some determination your weight loss effort can succeed and give you lots of health benefits. This article give you some of the best weight loss tips.
Following are some of the sure shot ways of losing weight without too much of pain. Go on and read these weight loss tips and include them in your daily routine. Make yourself look smarter and feel healthier!!
Weight Loss with Low Carb Diet
This is the first and most important step towards weight loss. No weight loss effort will succeed unless your diet has low carbohydrate content. Reduce drastically the content of sugar and carbohydrates (like bread) in your food. It is best if you can avoid such food items completely. All modern scientific studies tell us that eating low carb diet is the most effective way to lose weight. Eating less than what your body requires is not the right way to lose weight. You will feel hungry and unhappy all the time. Sooner or later you will give up and again go back to your old eating habits. So eating less is not the right approach for losing weight. Eat smart!! Sugar and starch (carbohydrate) are likely to increase your hunger and you may end up eating more than your body needs. A low carbohydrate diet causes you to want to eat less. The body burns around 300 extra calories in digesting a low carb diet. This is equal to what body burns in one hour of moderate physical activity. Following are tips of low carb diet: –
Weight Loss – Foods to Avoid
- Sugar – Candy, Ice Cream, Cake, Fruit Juices, Carbonated Soft Drinks, Many other similar items.
- Trans Fat – Do not use trans fat to cook food like hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils.
- Artificial Sweetener – Avoid artificial sweetener like Saccharin, Cyclamates, Aspartame, Sucralose etc.
- Gluten Grains – Eat less of gluten grains like Barley, Rye, Bread, Pasta, Wheat and Spelt.
- Vegetable Oils and High Omega 6 Seed Oils – Like Canola Oil, Sunflower Oil, Grape Seed Oil, Soya Bean Oil, Cotton Seed Oil.
- High Processed Foods – Don’t eat high processed food items.
- Don’t eat – Do not eat “Low Carb” version of high carb food like cookies, chocolate, ice cream unless you are sure that they are genuinely low carb and low sugar items. Low carb chocolate may be full of sugar alcohol which will raise blood sugar.
Weight Loss – Foods to Eat
- Non Gluten Grains – Oat, Rice, Quinoa
- Meat and Eggs – Chicken, Pork, Lamb, Eggs etc
- Vegetables – Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, Carrots and similar many other green vegetables.
- Legumes – Black Beans and Many varieties of Lentils
- Seeds and Nuts – Eat nuts like Almond, Walnut, Flax Seed, Sunflower Seed.
- Fish – Haddock, Trout, Salmon and many other fish varieties.
- Dairy Product – Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Heavy Cream
- Fruits – Eat plenty of Oranges, Apples, Pears, Blueberries, Banana, Strawberries, Indian Gooseberry etc.
- Oils – Cod Fish Liver Oil, Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Mustard Oil, Butter and Lard
For Weight Loss Eat Only When Hungry
If you don’t feel hungry don’t eat. If you eat food which you do not need then you will gain weight. Reduce unnecessary snacking. It will slow down your weight loss efforts. Don’t eat something just because it is tasty and is available easily. Break out of this habit of unnecessary eating which only satisfies your taste buds!! There are people who munch snacks like salted nuts while watching TV. Drop this habit of obsessive snacking. Take dessert in moderation. If you take tea or coffee many times a day reduce quantity of cream and sugar in it. Skip a meal if you are not feeling hungry. There is no harm in skipping a meal once in a while. Your body will burn the excess fat in your body and will provide you the required energy!!
Fast Once in a While to Lose Weight
Intermittent fasting is a very good technique to reduce weight and also to improve your overall health. It means that you do not eat anything during a specified time interval during the day. Following are different types of intermittent fasting you can choose from: –
- 16:8 Fasting – Fast for 16 hours which also includes hours during which you sleep. Take a very light and very low calorie breakfast consisting of fruits and an egg. Better still take no breakfast and let the lunch be the first meal of the day. If you fast till 12 in the noon then you would not have eaten anything for 16 hours, including sleep period. You can do 16:8 fasting twice a week of even more frequently.
- Fasting for 24 Hours – You can fast from dinner to next dinner, once a week. Some people do it even twice a week. Drink plenty of water or coconut water during this period.
Remember that if you are addicted to eating a lot or eating frequently or taking lots of sugar then you will have to control the urge. Therefore you need to be very careful. If you have sleep problem or if you are under stress, first resolve these issues before fasting. If you are taking insulin or any other kind of medication you must consult your doctor before fasting. Fasting is not recommended for breast feeding mothers, pregnant women and children.
Exercise for Weight Loss
If you are successfully doing above mentioned three tips you will start seeing results after one month. But if you combine them with some physical activity the result will be visible sooner. I am not recommending an elaborate exercise plan which you may not be able to sustain in the long run. But some physical activities can be made part of your daily routine. Following are some of the most effective exercises for weight loss: –
- Yoga Asanas are one of the most effective ways to lose weight. These can be done within your house and do not require any expenditure.
- Kapalbhati Pranayama is another yoga asana which is very effective for reducing fat around your waist. It is also extremely beneficial for health. It is best way to lose belly fat.
- Brisk Walk and Jogging – Walk briskly for 30 minutes every day or at least five days a week. This will burn calories and is immensely beneficial for your heart. During the walk add a burst of jogging for one minute, after every five minutes of walking. As your endurance increases increase the time of jogging while reducing the time of walking. The American College of Sports Medicine has mentioned in one of its findings that cardio exercises can increase body’s metabolic rate which burns more calories, for up to 24 hours after the exercise.
- Strength Exercises – Your muscles require constant feeding of energy. So if your muscles are bigger they will burn more calories and increase the metabolic rate. Muscles can be made bigger in size by doing exercises with weight. You can select exercises which increase biceps, triceps, chest muscles, leg muscles, back muscles and abdomen muscles. Bigger muscles will demand more calories and hence your body will burn more calories. American College of Sports Medicine has suggested many moves for adding bulk to muscles. Some of these exercises can be done without weight whereas some require equipment. Following are the suggested exercises: –
Squat for Thighs and Butt
Reverse Dips for Triceps
Lunge for Legs
Row for Back and Shoulder
Find your weight using Find out Your Ideal Weight and Body Mass Index method. Thereafter make a plan for weight loss in a systematic and healthy way. All you need is a Low Carb Diet, Eat Only When You are Hungry, Fast once in a while and Regular Exercise. You need one more thing which is will power and strong determination to follow the weight loss plan. Live healthy and live happily.