For all of you who don’t know what Chignon hairstyle is all about, it is nothing but a hairstyle that is very popular. The word chignon means a knot of hair that is made at the nape of the neck. Chignon hairstyles are usually buns of various types. This hairstyle was initially followed for weddings but today it became the most sort after everyday casual hairstyle. In this article let us look at some of the most popular Chignon hairstyles that all together gave a new meaning to bun hairstyles. Here are 6 popular chignon hairstyles for you!!
Chignon Hairstyles for Women
Fish tail Chignon Hairstyles
Fishtail braid is my all time favorite. To show off your braiding skills or to simply get a new glamorous look, try this fishtail chignon.
Let’s us look at how it is achieved.
- Make a deep side partition on either of the sides as per your comfort.
- Secure your hair in a tight low ponytail. Including bangs in the ponytail is your choice.
- Hope you know how to achieve a fishtail. If you don’t, please check our previous articles for a super easy method of achieving fish tail braid. Create a fish tail braid all through the length of your hair and secure the ends with elastic.
- Twist and turn it around the centre of the ponytail.
- Loop it around the hair as that of a normal bun and secure every turn with bobby pins and U pins.
- The final result looks something like this. However this shape will change based on how you have twisted the braid into bun.
- Style the bangs if you have any and you are done.
Simple Braided Chignon Hair Style
This chignon hairstyle can be achieved with a simple three strand braid. So if the above mentioned fish tail braid was tough for you, you can try this one out. It is super easy and super stylish.
- Brush your hair well and ensure it is tangle free.
- Using a curler, curl only the front section of hair and leave the rest as it is.
- Make a partition at the centre. Let the partition be of 1.5to 2 inches through the head, instead of partitioning it through the crown area.
- Once you make a 1.5 to 2 inch partition, comb the hair backwards.
- To create some volume, back comb the hair till you are happy with the volume.
- Once you are done, brush everything for a smoother finishing.
- Grab the whole section of hair and start braiding a three strand braid. Leave the bangs you have initially curled.
- After you are done with the braiding, pull the stitches of the braid outwards for a bigger and looser effect.
- Now fold the braid upwards and keep folding it as per the length of your hair in a way the whole twisting and bending of the braid is consistent and it touches the back of the head parallel to the front partition we have made.
- Beautify it with accessories if you have any and you are done with the simple braided chignon hairstyle.
Classic Chignon Hairstyles
Classic chignon hairstyle is the basic kind of chignon hairstyle. It is very simple and you can master it in the first go itself.
Let’s check it out.
- Brush your hair well and ensure it is tangle free.
- Make a deep side partition and section the side hair of both the sides out.
- Tie the behind portion of un-sectioned hair in elastic. Let the ponytail be neither too high nor too low.
- You will need a padding piece for this hairstyle. Place the padding piece below the elastic under the ponytail and move it upwards through the hair and pin it above the elastic. Make sure hair covers the padding piece.
- Grab the ponytail and wrap the hair around the padding piece like a bun and after making every single loop, secure the loop with U pins and bobby pins.
- Secure the twist with as many U pins as possible.
- Now take one side partition, and wrap it around the bun.
- Secure the ends with bobby pins in a way they are invisible.
- Repeat the same with the other side partition too.
- For a smooth finishing, the ends of the side partition should be pinned carefully.
- You can use some accessories, to give the hairstyle a proper look.
- If you have bangs, either curl them or give them a proper finishing.
- The final look is shown in the image
Kate Middleton Inspired Chignon Hairstyles
The famous Kate Middleton, the Duke of Cambridge was seen sporting this very beautiful Chignon hairstyle and I must say, it is very pretty. So much to my surprise, this hairstyle is very simple and can be done in seven to ten minutes.
- Get your hair ready and make sure there are no tangles and lumps.
- Making a side partition and secure your hair in a low ponytail. If you wish, leave the bangs on your face for a smoother look. Kate usually prefers not doing so. If you want some hair falling on your face then leave whatever hair is required before tying the ponytail.
- Pull the elastic of the pony slightly downwards in order to create a split in the middle of the ponytail.
- Pull the ponytail through the split and hold it tightly.
- Take small pieces of hair from the ponytail and back comb each partition (cover the whole ponytail) to create an illusion of volume.
- Take a soft brush and brush the whole ponytail.
- After you brush, take the whole ponytail in hand and flip is towards the head creating a roll. How you flip should depend on the length of your hair.
- Now mould the chignon in the shape you have desired for.
- Once you are happy with the shape, pin the hair using U pins and bobby pins very tightly.
- Using a hairspray adjusts the flyaway and you are done.
All Through Braided Chignon Hairstyles
This chignon hairstyle is for all those who have lovely long hair. However, women with medium hair also can try out this look. It is quick, easy and simple. Let’s look at how it is achieved.
- Comb your hair well and ensure it is tangle free.
- Make a partition from ear to ear through the crown and pin the front section of hair so that it doesn’t come in the way of the hair behind.
- Let us work on the behind section.
- Take small sections of hair and back comb it.
- Similarly back comb the whole section of hair that is at the beginning of the crown partition.
- Grab all the hair that you have back combed, smoothen the upper layers of hair and pin it tightly.
- This creates a pouf in the crown area.
- Unpin the front section of hair, create a side partition and grab the right section of hair and start braiding the three strand braid.
- The first stitch of the three strand braid should be behind the ear.
- As you braid, when it is the chance of right strand to come to the middle, add a chunk of hair from the loose hair that is left behind. Keep adding till half portion of the loose hair behind is under the braid.
- Once it is done, braid it normally and keep braiding the regular three strand braid and secure the ends with elastic.
- Now grab the section of hair on the left side. As you braid, when it the chance of left strand to come to the middle, add a chunk of hair from the loose hair and keep braiding till the leftover loose hair comes under the braid. After it is done, secure the ends with elastic.
- If there are any bangs left over, pin it behind in between the two braids.
- Take the three strand braid on your left hand side and pin it behind the ear.
- Similarly, pin the braid on your right hand over the previous braid by hiding the ends.
- Use a lot of U pins and bobby pins to keep this braid in place.
- And you are all set.
Flair Chignon Hairstyles With Twists
This hairstyle has a lot of twists and that itself is the beauty of the hairstyle. From forehead to the back, this hairstyle includes a lot of twists which should be executed very carefully.
Let us look at how to achieve this hairstyle.
- Brush your hair well and ensure it is free from tangles.
- Take a section of hair from the center of the forehead and start twisting it and secure it in place at the back using a couple of bobby pins.
- Now take another section of hair to the left of the previously made twist and twist the hair in the same fashion. Repeat the same with by taking another section of hair on the right.
- After you have made three sections of twists, at the back, twist all curls together and make them into one single twist and pin the ends.
- Take small sections of hair all through the forehead similarly and pin them at the centre of the back after twisting is done.
- Curl every end of the twist in to a circle with the previously made twist as the centre and using bobby pins. The final result should look like a bun.
- This way the whole hair should be twisted and the ends should be curled into a form of bun.
- The final result looks something like shown in the picture.
- Now you are all set with the flair chignon hairstyle with twists.